Most reviewers have complained that the Supergirl movie resembles a Guardians of the Galaxy movie more than it does a traditional superhero movie. That is a fair criticism, because it appears that the producers tried to go with a winning formula. Had this been a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, I would have said that it is a decent film for that franchise, but I am a little less comfortable with it as a Superman spinoff.
However, the story is decent enough. The Kryptonian Kara is struggling to find her identity and purpose after the destruction of Krypton, which the movie shows through some interesting flashbacks. The character is presented as struggling and more interested in partying herself into a stupor than doing anything heroic. Although this seems annoying at first, I ended up liking the character as she was finding her identity.
She reluctantly helps an alien teenage girl who is intent on getting revenge against a bad guy who murdered her family.
Since Supergirl should be nearly as powerful as Superman, the movie relies on multiple contrivances to make her less powerful when battling enemies who want to kill her.
Despite the problems the movie has, I still found it entertaining. I was not thrilled with the Superman (2025) movie, so I enjoyed Supergirl a little bit more.
Rating: B
No comments:
Post a Comment