Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo (2011) (B+)


I found myself wondering what the point of "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" is?  The movie starts out as a slow moving murder mystery.  It turns into an intense thriller about a serial killer.  The movie is rated R for violence, torture, nudity, strong sexual themes including rape, and language.  But the real point seems to be to introduce the character of "Lizabeth."  She is the punk pyscho-bitch of investigators.  She is the equivalent of Dirty Harry.  Even as she is being raped, she is setting up her rapist for a big fall, and believe me, she really knows how to get revenge.

"The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" is the first movie in the remake of the Swedish trilogy.  Since the movie still takes place in Sweeden, as far as I can tell the film is identical to the original in every scene except that the spoken language is English.  Some critics still prefer the original, but both versions are a real visceral experience.  The nastiness of the subject matter might turn off some people, but I think that everyone will agree that the movie is intense.

I can't wait for the sequel.  I might just watch the Swedish sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment