Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Edge of Tomorrow * * *

I don't usually watch movies in the theaters unless I think that it is going to be something special.  The audience is already familiar with the "time loop" concept that first appeared in Star Trek The Next Generation and later in the movie Groundhog Day, so what the film has to offer that is new is a whole bunch of special effects laden action sequences and the charisma of Tom Cruise, which he seems to have in spades.  The reason the movie doesn't feel so special to me is that the entire movie is all action with a few Groundhog Day twists and a barely budding romance.   

In other words, the film is Starship Troopers meets Groundhog Day which makes it kind of cool, but also makes it kind of Déjà vu all over again.

Actually I think that I am stuck in a time loop where I keep seeing movies with recycled plots and pointless remakes.

1 comment:

  1. “Battle is the great redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which the only true heroes are forged.” - Master Sergeant Farell (Bill Paxton)

    ReplyDelete